"When we rest, we rise"

Image via Pinterest




The very wise Amy Taylor-Kabbaz from Happy Mama asked a group of busy Mums last week, prior to the Easter long weekend:


 "what would happen if you gave yourself four days to just switch off... if you just gave yourself these four days to breathe, rest, just be in the moment?..." 

So, this weekend, I gave myself a mini holiday.  In the midst of what has been a CRAZY, crazy few months, I took a moment, paused, got my breath back.  Reconnected.  Enjoyed the sunshine.  Reminded myself of the way my babies eyes sparkle when they laugh. Let all the jobs go. I just was.

When you take the time to slow down, it is amazing how many beautiful moments there are, in every day.  It is the simple little things that tend to bring the most joy.  Like taking our beloved dog of a walk in the late afternoon light. My husband took us on a walk I have never done before, literally out our back door, where we were rewarded with a spectacular view of the valley we live in.  

Image:  Emma Schmid 


It is the moments spent listening to our daughter "read" to me last night as she sat snuggled in a beanbag making up stories from the pictures in books.

It is the smiles in my parents eyes when we surprised them with an unscheduled late one afternoon.

It is the super tight hug from my oldest dearest friend when we caught up for a much needed chat.

It  is in appreciating my husband offering to cook the dinner.

It is in the excited chatter of my son as he tells me about his adventures with his Grandma and Poppy.
It is in the wandering through the markets savouring the feast for the senses.  

All of these things that I miss when I am in my normal "Mummy mode", rushing from one thing to the next, always thinking of who has to be where, by when, with what.

How amazing would it be if we could take a part of that with us in every day?  What would we notice differently?  How different would life be if we focussed on being instead of our to-do lists?  It would be filled with different priorities.  The real priorities.  Spending time with loved ones.  Stopping to feel the sunshine on our faces or smell the roses.  It would be filled with giggles, snuggles and moments where it all just feels right instead of stressful, cranky, rushed, and mundane.  Who lets us decide these "priorities" anyway?  Why do we let ourselves get so caught up in the "doing" that we forget about the "being"?  When do we allow the "to-do" list to become more important than being present and appreciating the magic that surrounds us already?

It is my promise to myself that in this second school term of the year, I will take more time to "just be".  To allow myself a little of this "holiday" time in each day, to really appreciate what is around me.  To be with my children.  To listen intently.  To love wholly.  To be in the moment.  I might not get it right all the time, but with consciousness comes a desire to do better.

So beautiful Amy T-K, to answer your question - what would happen if...?  What happens is an awakening.  A shifting of priorities.  A reminder of what is important.  A decision to get back to my core desired feelings.  To be creative.  To have moments of calm.  To connect.

And it couldn't have come at a better time.

Thank you for the beautiful assignment.

Until next time,
E xx



Labels: , ,